Monday, February 25, 2008

chpt 3

Chapter 2
Week one... no kids just counselor.

The first week of camp was one of camper-free bliss. The counselors divided their time between training, team building exercises, getting to know you games, learning how to handle conflicts and preparing the camp grounds. There were nearly 200 counselors and staff working in four camps and it was easy to get lost in the crowd. It was overwhelming and exciting, with a diverse staff. For some this was their twentieth year returning and they knew the camp from having spent countless hours there. But I was not alone as a newcomer and finding a nitch of friends to felt comfortable with was key to surviving this week of training hell. And I found mine, I was one of five girls whose group dynamics as the summer progressed would change dramatically. As our true personality emerged we would break off into sub cliche' and find new friends. But for the time being, have a little group of friends among all those strangers was a comfort.


Initially I was impressed by each one of these girls. We were each unique, having lived very different lives but fit together in an easy, natural way. Amie with her quite nature, kind eyes and brilliance. Not only did we share the same job, but as we would learn many other interests and common values. I felt safe in her company. Surrounded by so many strangers, it was a comfort to be near someone who I felt connected to in an intangible way.

Sara grew up just minutes from where I lived and we shared a common upbringing. Though her life had been rough, she knew how to have fun... most of the time getting herself into trouble. She lived her life hard and strong and like myself, with no distinct purpose. I related to her depressive and manic tendencies, self destructive humor and no regrets party rule. Later in the summer I would wish longingly for her energetic personality. Her time at camp was cut short.

Annie was funny, kept me smiling all the time. She was responsible as a former-camper-turned counselor. Annie knew the ropes and had familiarity with the camp the rest of us lacked. She always joked self consciously about being home schooled and being a tomboy. Though she was not totally comfortable being gay at camp she was comfortable expressing her masculine side. It should have seemed obvious that she was gay, but unless you're looking for it, those types of characteristics can go unnoticed. It was not until the night she told her she was gay that the pieces of her personality fell into place.

I'm unsure of how I was viewed by the others but that didn't really matter much then and matters even less now. Aside from the occasional e-mail I have no contact with them. Their lives as I know it have come to a stand still. They are frozen in my memory, a snap shot of each taken from my narrow view.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know one of the girls in that photo and i don't think they'd be very happy to see what you've written....

Anonymous said...

Your Sick!

CHeeren said...

Anonymous: I hope I made it clear that while each of us has our own flaws... I loved every one of my friends at camp a lot. I'm surprised to hear you know one of them, so I'm assuming you know me as well. I'm telling this story not to hurt anyone or to be sick, but to express genuine emotions and tell the truth as I saw it. If you would disagree with my opinions or descriptions, I'd be interested to hear your side. Otherwise I'd recommend refraining from reading further posts.

Anonymous: you mean "you're sick" not "your sick". I'm dyslexic what's your excuse? And for anyone that doesn't know that reference... its sex and the city.

Anonymous said...

Get it right urself, you shouldn't start a sentence with FOR and AND!!!! That's proper english for you.

My Secret Garden said...

Hey babes, I'm reading you, am discovering you, and am certainly liking you!!! I will keep you posted on how my brain - I have two of them, both are ginger - appreciate this wonderful world you describe ....

Anonymous said...

Interesting read... heh do continue the series, as i'm curious to know what happens with you and annie !

Anonymous said...

cheeren: I have no problem with the "emotions" you seem to think you're expressing, express away for all I care. That being said, maybe you should have a quick read over what you've written and you might spot the fact that you're putting private information about people's lives up on the internet for all to view. Personally I wouldn't publish anything that could potentially ruin someone's family life just because I was to self-centered and needed to "express" myself.

cheeren: Before you criticise others on their spelling I believe you've written "surrendered" in "Chapter 2
Week one... no kids just counselor" - perhaps you meant surrounded? Just a tip you might want to "express" you "emotions" without the spelling errors, I find it makes it feel more "genuine".

Anonymous said...

cheeren: Nice work sherlock with changing the names, but the photo's still up, might want to grow a brain cell and take it down.

CHeeren said...

My secret Garden: thanks for the positive feedback! I'm going to continue the series and i'm working on the next post right now!!!! (smile and wink) things with annie and I do really start to intensify this is just the beginning

Frank said...

Ok, to all the "anonymous" people out there, this is a public blog that is written out of Cheeren's own free will, so I do not see why it must be ruthlessly attacked. The only thing I see in here that could possibly be construed as "sick" is the implication that "Annie" is a homosexual, and seeing that this blog is written by someone who is openly gay, the discussion of sexuality does not seem overly offensive, at least not to me. Nothing about "Sara's" description seems to warrant any negative reaction.

"...you're putting private information about people's lives up on the internet for all to view. Personally I wouldn't publish anything that could potentially ruin someone's family life just because I was to self-centered and needed to 'express' myself."

This is Blogger for Christ's sake, not the New York Times. People have a right to write what the want to write and anyone who has a problem with it should take things up with the author personally, instead of posting anonymous comments designed to inflict pain. If you don't like it, don't read it. Just lighten the hell up. I know plenty of people who could write damaging things about me and it's their right to do so if they please. I just don't read them.

thirdwavesurfer said...

im annies sister, and i fully support this blog being written.. who is hating on it so much?
how uncomfortable are you with the way you treated her or annie at camp that you think it might come out? that is the only reason i can see anyone getting upset with the way she has set up this story. check your own behavior and get over yourself, seriously.


and to the person who wrote "youre sick"... i can only assume you are referring to the homosexuality in this blog, and for that, you are pathetic. im sorry that chereen even wasted her time reading your comment, because you are useless and your presence in this world should not be acknowledged.

CHeeren said...

STELLLLLLAAAA!!!!! Wow i'm a tiny bit embarrassed your reading this. It's your sister and I'm more honored then anything! tehehe : ) And thank you for ur support.

Rachel said...

Can't believe you called me a Scottish bitch....harsh

Jocelynn said...

In response to:

Anonymous said...

Get it right urself, you shouldn't start a sentence with FOR and AND!!!! That's proper english for you.
February 27, 2008 10:54 AM

Actually it IS proper English to start a sentence with 'and' so long as you format it correctly.

To the writer - I randomly found this blog and I'm rather intrigued and will definitely keep reading! you have an awesome writing style which would definitely make it's way into book form! Good job :)